In case you deleted your "welcome" page - here is the copy.
This page has a lot of information for you about how to manage your empire
or kingdom or county. We will do our best to meet and exceed your expectations
and needs. Your business is truly appreciated.
Contact us when you need help at firstname.lastname@example.org
Server details, tracer route and common
To start you up, some quick notes about your account: Some of this info
you might not need for years. Just save it somewhere where you can find
- Web-visible directory is /www
html files, (and
jpg, and any other files to appear on your website)
go into your
/www directory and subdirectories below that.
- You can create directories in your accout outside the
but you will not be able to see them from the web.
- Scripts can be executed from any directory!
- You CAN make a
cgibin (don't use
to keep your cgi files easier to find, but you can execute CGI files
anywhere. With Counties they go into the directory with your user name
or subdirectories thereof.
- Do not forget to set the executable permissions for your CGI scripts
chmod 755 filename with Telnet or FTP if your client supports
- Upload your Perl scripts in
- UNIX is case sensitive!
- Remember that our system is SeNsItIvE to upper and lower case directory
and file names
- Don't forget default directory indexes!
index.htm are the default-loading home pages for any directory
(directory indexes, in descending priority order)
- SSI are enabled
- Server-side includes (SSI) are enabled both for
*.html pages. We fully support Webmonkey XSSI.
- Preset directories
default or commonly shared directories - DO NOT USE THOSE NAMES!
- Don't delete the preset directories unless you are sure you won't
use them (some are required for stats, etc.)
To save time and resources, your bill will be sent to you via E-mail
ONLY it will be for next quarter usage charges, plus new accounts and/or
extra features (if any) in the past term. For VAR's who may add items
during a billing cycle, a live on-line invoice is available for them.
You can have POP accounts (
Vanity addresses. A Vanity address is
that is forwarded to your POP account or to your ISP based mail account.
We do not offer SMTP accounts, unless you have a static IP.
- Mail Abuse
- Mail is NOT a storage area and mail is not to be left on the server.
The more mail you get, the more often it should be retrieved. If you
can not retrieve your mail in a normal manner because of travelling,
etc. tell us in advance so that we can make exceptions and not treat
it as abandoned.
- Minor Mail Abuse
- "Oversize" (more than one MegaByte of mail left more than 24 hours)
- "Abandoned" (over half a MegaByte of mail left over a week) will
be deleted automatically and without prior warning or subsequent notification.
This is done automatically and no further action will be taken.
- Major Mail Abuse
- Address forging
- Please refer to our Terms and Conditions
of Service for more details
Major Mail Abuse will be treated on a case by case basis. We will not
simply believe any accusations but will investigate thoroughly. If we
find that a client has indeed commited a Major Mail Abuse, that mail account
will be terminated.
Here are some links and pointers to areas where you can get further
details on advanced web development, Unix, Windows NT, etc.
HTML and Graphics Development
- Downloads for ALL your web needs
- We got a nice collection of all the editors, FTP programs, ZIP, graphics,
communicators, etc in one nice and compact download site for you on
our Webby Mirror.
- Traffic builder
- Build your traffic with postcards. Join the free service here.
- Texture Land
- Many great ready-to-use background textures for your web pages.
- HTML Validator
- Quick and comprehensive way to check your HTML document code and
UNIX Help and Resources
Quick Guide to UNIX 1
- Useful starting point for those with no UNIX knowledge whatsoever.
Quick Guide to UNIX 2
- Continuation of the above, deals with permissions and the grep searcher.
Help for Users
- Similar to the two links above, but goes into a bit more detail.
- (Almost) everything you ever wanted to know about UNIX, or at least
where to find it.
- Full documentation relating to GCC, G++, libg++ and gdb GNU Unix
Advanced Web Development
CGI- Common Gateway Interface
- Some pointers on CGI usage
- A great language to learn in the generation of dynamic documents
(on-the-fly page creation) such as forms. Use with caution if your site
- The CGI Resource Index
- An excellent CGI script and resource listing.
- Matt's CGI Script Archive
- A good collection of various free CGI scripts.
- Selena's CGI Script Archive
- Another good CGI script archive.
- Sun JAVA Site
- The official JAVA web site, by its creators.
- Gamelan: Earthweb's JAVA Directory
- Good source for many, many excellent JAVA scripts.
- If you have any CGI questions, you'll probably be able to get the
answer to them here.